Note: Our course modules work best on the latest version of Google Chrome. If your course is not loading, update your browser and/or check your internet connectivity as a first step.
IATA Live Animals for Cargo Personnel
When shipping or accepting live animals for transport by air, you must know how to use and comply with the IATA Live Animals Regulations (LAR). The IATA LAR is the global standard and essential guide to transporting live animals by air in a safe and humane manner. Whether you are a shipper, a freight forwarder or a cargo acceptance representative, a working knowledge of LAR is a must to ensure that live animals are transported in compliance with airline regulations and animal welfare standards.
Learn about container requirements, documentation requirements, and awareness of animals’ health. Learn how to comply with standards and international welfare regulations. Note: This awareness course meets the minimum training requirements for handling and acceptance personnel, as per the Live Animals Regulations (LAR) Section 1.4.
This course requires approximately 1.5 hours of study, to be completed in 6 months from the purchase date. Student performance will be based on an examination.
What you will learn?
Upon completing this course you will have the skills to:
- Protect the safety and welfare of animals on the ground and in the air
- Describe container design principles for live animals
- Determine which container requirement is applicable to the animal being transported
- Describe carrier requirements and government regulations
- Identify relevant documentation
- Correct use of IATA's Live Animals Regulations manual
- Shipper’s and Carrier’s responsibilities
- Government and airline regulations
- Documentation, marking and labelling requirements for live animal shipments.
- Classification of live animals and identification of the correct container requirement
Who should attend?
- Cargo agents and freight forwarders
- Airline passenger representatives
- Cargo Operations personnel
- Customer Service
- Reservations and Operations staff
- Airline Handlers
Upon successful completion of the exam, you will be awarded an e-Letter of Completion available for you to print for your records. As per LAR 1.4, this Certificate is only valid for 36 months.
- Non-supervised online-based exam. Exam can be taken any time at your convenience.
- You will be given 1 hour to complete 20 multiple choice questions.
- Passing grade is 80% correct answers.
- You will be given 2 attempts to successfully complete the final exam.