Note: Our course modules work best on the latest version of Google Chrome. If your course is not loading, update your browser and/or check your internet connectivity as a first step.
IATA Fatigue Management Fundamentals
Fatigue degrades various types of human performance and is inevitable in a 24/7 industry like aviation. It is a very real hazard that is a prime causal factor in many accidents and is associated with many functions of operations. Regulators therefore require that fatigue be included in safety analysis. Consequently, more and more airlines, ANSPs and service providers are actively managing fatigue.
This eLearning course on Fatigue Management will provide you with foundational knowledge in the domain. You will gain a clear understanding that fatigue cannot be eliminated, so it must be managed. Learn how to analyze and mitigate fatigue to reduce the exposure to accidents and manage your operations in relation to fatigue risk. Among others, this will enable you to know where you can increase duty and where you need to reduce it.
This course requires approximately 2 hours of study to be completed in 6 months from the purchase date (enrollment validity). After the enrollment validity expires, the users will not have access to the course content and will not be able to take the exam.
Student performance will be based on an assessment.
What you will learn?
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Summarize the scientific principles of fatigue and their influences on flight safety
- Recognize the impact of fatigue regulation on operations
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of the various approaches to fatigue management
- Define the operational and organizational part of the Fatigue Risk Management Systems (FRMS) concept
- The role of fatigue in accidents
- Sleep science
- The influence of Rapid Eye Movement (REM) and non-REM sleep on flight operations
- Fatigue Risk Management
Who should attend?
- Crew resource management and human factors staff
- Safety department staff
- Pilots, cabin crew managers and instructors
- Regulators (Civil Aviation Authorities)
- Ground staff, crew planning, shift workers (maintenance, ramp agents, etc.)
- Aeronautical systems technicians, engineers, etc.
- Staff from ANSP’s working in safety related roles
Upon successful completion of the exam, you will be awarded an e-Certificate available for you to print for your records.
- Non-supervised online-based exam. Exam can be taken any time at your convenience.
- You will be given 75 minutes to complete 25 multiple choice questions.
- Passing grade is 70% correct answers.
- You will be given 2 attempts to successfully complete the final exam.